We’re ending our Beth Moore James Bible study this week. I have to say this study has rocked my world! I’ve always thought the book of James was good, but now, its slap yo’ face good. I told Brandn we need to have a son and name him James, not “James” but whatever the Greek name for James is….he vetoed my idea right there on the spot and then put his foot down, literally. James is derived from Jacob (you know, the father of the 12 tribes if Israel) and “James” is “Demetrious” in Greek. (Super cool. Brandn, I think we need to revisit the topic of naming our future, hypothetical son.)
Some verses that stood out to me are:
1. Greetings – James 1:1 “Greetings” comes from the Greek work “chairein” pronounced kie-rain. It means “joy to you.” Beth said joy is your birthright from God and NO ONE has the right to take it from you…..love that. Why do we allow people to steal our joy? Good question. (Chairein is what I want to name our future, hypothetical daughter…vetoed again.)
2. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. – James 1:27 I used to overlook verses like this. But recently I can’t get past them.
3. What good is it my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? – James 2:14 Beth summed James up like this: Do it; if you don’t live it, you don’t believe it. Ouch!
4. But He gives greater grace. – James 4:6 Grace is a free gift. I show grace by tolerating annoying people instead of punching them. Thankfully God’s grace is GREATER. He doesn’t just tolerate us. He loves us, He delights in us. He knit us together in our mother’s womb and knew our names before she knew she was pregnant.
5. If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins. – James 4:17 Well crap! I guess “it’s the thought that counts” doesn’t do me any good here. Yes, deciding to do something is great, but if I don’t follow through; it’s meaningless.
Lots more thoughts but I wanted to keep this blog short and sweet.
Thanks for allowing me to share my world with you….welcome to my brain!